Introducing the chipKIT™ Wi-FIRE™: The first chipKIT to feature the latest, most powerful line of the Microchip® microcontroller family.
"The PIC32MZ family provides [2.5x] the performance and 4x the memory over the previous-generation PIC32MX families, along with a high level of advanced peripheral integration. For applications requiring embedded connectivity, the family includes [Hi-Speed USB, Ethernet], along with a broad set of wired and wireless protocol stacks."
"The PIC32MZ is Microchip's first MCU to employ Imagination's MIPS M5150 core, which adds 159 new DSP instructions that enable the execution of DSP algorithms at up to 75% fewer cycles than the PIC32MX families. This core also provides the microMIPS® instruction-set architecture, which improves code density while operating at near full rate, instruction and data cache, and its 200 MHz/330 DMIPS offers [2.5x] the performance of the PIC32MX." – Microchip Press Release
Building on the previous successes with the chipKIT WF32, the Wi-FIRE uses the same 43 available I/O pins, 12 analog inputs, 3.3 operating voltage, 4 user LEDs, potentiometer, buttons, uses MRF24 on-board wireless module, microSD Card, dedicated SPI Signals and high efficiency 3.3V switching power supply for low-power operation.
Where the boards differ is what the PIC32MZ processor can deliver.
The Wi-FIRE is significantly faster than its WF32 counterpart, with 200 MHz operation speed, 2MB of Flash, 512kB RAM, High-Speed USB and a 50MHz SPI. The PIC32MZ core includes the MIPS M5150 CPU Core from Imagination Technologies. The M5150 is a highly efficient, compact core that is optimized for cloud-connected based projects, using Imagination Technologies' FlowCloud software.
PRE-PRODUCTION SILICON NOTICE:
The first manufacturing build of the chipKIT Wi-FIRE is produced using the PIC32MZ2048ECG100- A5 engineering silicon. Engineering silicon is made available in limited quantities ahead of a full release to enable early adopters to get a head start on their designs. The A5 version of the silicon is substantially close to the production silicon, so any designs that are done on this version of the chipKIT Wi-FIRE will work without modification on the production version of the chipKIT Wi-FIRE. For any additional questions specific to the silicon on the chipKIT Wi-FIRE, please visit www.microchip.com
Processor/IC: Microchip PIC32MZ2048ECG- (A5 Pre-Production Silicon)
Connector(s): USB A mini-B cable (USB cable not included), USB Serial Converter, microSD card connector
Programming: MPIDE, MPLAB X (with seperate programmer), Imagination Technologies FlowCloud enabled for IoT-based projects
- 2MB Flash memory
- 512KB RAM
- 200 MHz maximum operating speed
- 50 MHz six 4-wire SPI, six UART modules, five I2C modules, PPS
- 10-bit ADC module: 500 Ksps rate with one Sample and Hold (S&H) circuits, up to 40 analog inputs
- 43 available I/O pins with on-board user interfaces
- 3.3V operating voltage
- 3.3V and 5V regulators
- 12 analog inputs
- PC connection uses a USB A to mini-B cable (not included)
- USB 2.0 Full-Speed / Hi-Speed OTG controller with A and micro-AB connectors
- MicroSD card connector
- Four LEDs, two Pushbuttons, one Potentiometer
- Fully supported by MPIDE
- For more advanced users, MPLAB X IDE is available with a seperate programmer
- Imagination Technologies FlowCloud enabled for IoT-based projects
- Microchip MRF24WG0MA WiFi module
- DSP-enhanced core: Four 64-bit accumulators, single-cycle MAC, saturating and fractional math