The Digilent I/O Explorer USB is a USB peripheral device that allows programmatic access from a personal computer to various external Input/Output (I/O) devices.
Using the Digilent Adept Software Developer's Kit (SDK) and the Digilent Adept Runtime System it is possible to write application programs running under either the Microsoft® Windows® or Linux® operating systems that perform various kinds of I/O operations to devices on the I/O Explorer board itself, or through the I/O Explorer to devices external to the computer.
The I/O Explorer provides a number of I/O devices on the board itself, as well as RC servo connectors, and Digilent Pmod ports that allow access to devices external to the I/O Explorer.
In addition to its use as a dedicated USB peripheral device, the I/O Explorer can also be used as a microcontroller development board. It features two Atmel® AVR microcontrollers, one having USB device capability. Digilent makes available the firmware images needed to restore it to the factory configuration as a USB peripheral device if it has been reprogrammed with user defined firmware.
The I/O Explorer USB is a legacy product and is no longer supported by Xilinx's newer tool sets. As a result we will no longer be producing the board, and once current stock is depleted there will be no more. If you need help finding a replacement product, please visit Digilent's forum.
There are two UART signal pin assignment conventions in use on Digilent products. This product uses the old signal assignment convention. Connecting a product using the old convention with one using the new convention requires the use of a Digilent Pmod Crossover Cable (not included). Click here for a more detailed explanation.
Processor/IC: Atmel® ATmega165P AT90USB646
- USB Port
- 5 x 12-pin Pmod ports
- 1 x 6-pin Pmod port
- 8 x R/C servo connectors
- SPI master port
- UART interface port
Programming: Digilent USB2 port providing board power, programming, and data transfers
- AT90USB646 and ATmega165P AVR microcontrollers by Atmel
- SPI and UART ports
- Four 12-bit D/A outputs and two 10-bit A/D inputs
- 52 digital I/O pins
- USB 2.0 Full Speed device
- Multiple power supply options, including USB-powered
- Five 12-pin Pmod ports and one 6-pin Pmod port
- Sixteen discrete LEDs, eight slide switches, four pushbuttons, 4-position DIP switch, two rotary encoders with integral pushbutton, speaker/buzzer, eight R/C servo connectors
- C/C++/C#/Visual Basic callable API set using the Digilent Adept System Software Developer's Kit (SDK)
- Fully software compatible with the Digilent Adept Runtime system
- ESD protection and short circuit protection for all I/O pins