The Basys board provides an ideal circuit design platform for anyone who wants to learn about FPGAs and digital circuit design. It combines the advanced features of the Xilinx® Spartan®-3E FPGA with straightforward power supply and I/O circuits, making it the perfect platform for introductory designs ranging from simple logic circuits to complex digital systems.
The four on-board 6-pin connectors can accommodate any of Digilent's low-cost Pmod accessory circuits, making it easy to add A/D and D/A converters, motors, sensors, and a variety of other devices and circuits.
The Basys board is fully compatible with all versions of the Xilinx ISE® tools, including the free WebPack. It ships with a USB programming cable (this also supplies power) so designs can be implemented immediately with no hidden costs. It also comes in a convenient plastic carry-case.
Now every student can have a state-of-the-art development system for far less than the cost of a textbook!
The Basys is being replaced by the Basys 2 FPGA Board. For more details, please see the following document: Upgrade_to_Basys2
In order to program and communicate with the Basys board, you must download and install the free Digilent Adept Suite
- Xilinx Spartan 3-E FPGA, 250K gates
- FPGA features 18-bit multipliers, 72Kbits of fast dual-port block RAM, and 500MHz+ operation
- USB 2 port for FPGA configuration and data transfers (software available as a free download)
- XCF02 Platform Flash ROM that stores FPGA configurations indefinitely
- User-settable oscillator frequency (25, 50, and 100 MHz), plus socket for a second oscillator
- Three on-board voltage regulators (1.2V, 2.5V, and 3.3V) that allow use of 4V-12V external supplies
- 8 LEDs, 4-digit seven-segment display, four pushbuttons, 8 slide switches, PS/2 port, and a 8-bit VGA port
- Four 6-pin headers for user I/Os, and attaching Digilent PMOD accessory circuit boards