The Basys 2 is currently only supported in ISE; however, for new courses we recommend that you move directly to Vivado and the Basys 3.
The Basys 2 FPGA development board is a circuit design and implementation platform for beginners to gain experience building real digital circuits. Built around a Xilinx® Spartan®-3E FPGA and an Atmel® AT90USB2 USB controller, the Basys 2 development board provides complete, ready-to-use hardware suitable for hosting circuits ranging from basic logic devices to complex controllers. A large collection of on-board I/O devices and all required FPGA support circuits are included, so countless designs can be created without the need for any other components.
Four standard expansion connectors allow designs to grow beyond the Basys 2 board using breadboards, user-designed circuit boards, or Pmods (Pmods are inexpensive analog and digital I/O modules that offer A/D & D/A conversion, motor drivers, sensor inputs, and many other features). Signals on the 6-pin connectors are protected against ESD damage and short-circuits, ensuring a long operating life in any environment. The Basys 2 board works seamlessly with all versions of the Xilinx ISE® tools, including the free WebPACK™. It ships with a USB cable that provides power and a programming interface, so no other power supplies or programming cables are required.
We have recently released the new Basys 3 which has a number of upgrades and is based on the Xilinx Artix®-7
Processors/IC: Xilinx Spartan-3E FPGA, 250K gates (100K gates were used in early models of the Basys 2 but are no longer available. Both models are fully pin-compatible)
- Mini USB port
- Four 6-pin Pmod ports
Programming: JTAG programming via on-board USB2 port using the free Adept software (version 2.0 or later)
- Xilinx Spartan-3E FPGA, 250K gates*
- Linear Technology
- FPGA features 18-bit multipliers
- 72 Kbits of fast dual-port block RAM
- 300 MHz+ operation
- Requires Adept 2.0 or later for operation
- XCF02 Platform Flash ROM that stores FPGA configurations indefinitely
- User-settable oscillator frequency (25, 50, and 100 MHz), plus socket for a second oscillator
- Three on-board voltage regulators (1.2V, 2.5V, and 3.3V) that allow use of 3.5V-5.5V external supplies
- Ships with a mini USB cable that provides power and a programming interface
- 8 LEDs, 4 pushbuttons, 8 slide switches
- 4-digit seven-segment display
- PS/2 port
- 8-bit VGA port
- USB2 full-speed port for FPGA configuration and data transfers (using Adept 2.0 software available as a free download)
- Four 6-pin headers for user I/Os, and attaching Digilent Pmod accessory circuit boards
*100k gates were used in early models of the Basys 2 but are no longer available. Both models are fully pin-compatible.